I read in the recent issue of Runner’s World Magazine that just 12 percent of runners have done a run in a costume. The other 88 percent of you are seriously missing out. Running in costume is liberating. If you are feeling burned out – it brings levity back to the sport. If you want to run a race, but have no intention of hitting it with gusto – run in a costume to make it fun. No one expects you to PR in a tutu…and if you do – well, that much the better. I have seen people run in green wigs (St. Patrick’s Day), santa suits (yes, an entire half marathon), tutus, feathers, 80’s costumes and so so much more. Here are five things to consider when selecting your costume.
1) Dress rehearse your costume first. Consider chafing places and potential distracters. When we ran in tutus, I wore capris to protect my legs. Shorter races are less of an issue.
2) Pick a costume that gels with the weather – the santa suit was worn at a December race. You may like that gorilla suit, but not in August.
3) Prepare to be noticed. If you are uncomfortable with extra attention, then a costume may not be for you. Remember, anyone who rolls their eyes at your costume is a party pooper and too uptight to care about anyway.
4) If you are dressing a relay team, go for bright colors so you can see your teammate from a distance. This may seem logical, but you would be surprised how many people find our strategy enlightening.
5) Be tasteful. There is a fine line between fun and offensive. Cover all your parts please.
I find I PR in a costume. Maybe I should wear them more often.