Tons of gluten-free products are available, and some are just not worth your time or taste buds. I have a few favorites that I thought I would share, as some friends asked for more gluten-free tips:
- Pamela’s Baking Mix: I have mentioned this mix before because I love the pancakes. It also is a quickie for chocolate chip cookies, breads, pizza crust and all the recipes are right on the back of the 4-lb. bag.
- Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta: Some alternative-grain pastas are grainy or mushy. Tinkyada tastes just like regular wheat pasta and comes in just about every shape possible. Don’t write off lasagna just because you are gluten-free!
- Udi’s Breads: Udi’s does make gluten-ed breads, so be careful to read the label and be sure you purchase gluten-free. All of their gluten-free breads, especially their french-bread style, taste similar to regular wheat bread. They do not have the dense, gummy texture that often characterizes brown rice bread or tapioca breads. I love their whole grain sliced bread too. I have not tried their muffins and cinnamon rolls – available in the freezer section of many stores – but they sure look pretty good.
- Van’s Wheat-Free Waffles: I am not a waffle with syrup and butter kind of girl, but they would probably be delicious this way. I like to use these as a quick base for peanut butter or a poached egg. They are also tasty with non-fat Greek yogurt and berries.
- Lara Bars: made with just dried fruit and nuts, Lara bars are an easy sweet snack. My favorite flavors are cashew cookie, chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter and jelly. Over a dozen other flavors are also available.
- Tamari: remember, soy sauce has wheat. Tamari is wheat-free soy sauce and is a staple for stir fries and marinades. Choose low-sodium unless you enjoy puffy hands.
- Food Should Taste Good Multi-Grain Chips: Even if you are not required to eat a gluten-free diet, try these chips. They are more like a cracker than a chip, made with flax and quinoa…great with hummus or other dips. They also make a chocolate flavored chip (also gluten-free) that is yummy.