I teach a class called “Quick Circuit” on Wednesdays which usually consists of about 10 weight or cardio “stations” of variable difficulty. Yesterday, I participated in my own class and in less than 30 minutes, it whooped my tail. I thought I’d share in the spirit of holiday giving and the need for quick, effective workouts:
Warm-up for about five minutes with a jog, jacks, walk, lunges, elliptical, stationary bike – something to get circulation going.
Then repeat the following two times through. Spend 60 seconds on each exercise and give yourself 15 seconds to change exercises and catch your breath. After the first round through, take a full minute to get a drink.
1) Speed Squats: Cradle your hands behind your head and squat and rise as fast as you can for the 60 seconds.
2) Bosu Jump Ups: Stand behind a bosu balance trainer, bend your knees and jump up to land in a semi squat on top of the blue dome. Jump off and land with bent knees. Repeat for the whole minute.
3) Hip Bridge: Lie on your back with your feet on a stability ball. Lift your hips up off the floor and hold.
4) Plank Walk to Pushup: Start on your forearms and toes, bracing your core tightly. One at a time, place your hands on the floor –pressing yourself up into a straight-arm plank position. Do a pushup and then return to the forearm plank position. Continue to alternate.
5) Out and In Jump Squats: Place your hands on your hips and jump your feet wide into a squat. Immediately jump your feet back to hip-width distance, landing in a squat. Continue to alternate.
6) Side Plank: Brace yourself on your right forearm and outer right foot – hips and feet stacked. Place your left hand on your hip or extend it straight up to the ceiling. Hold 30 seconds and then switch sides.
7) Jump Rope: Grab a rope and go for 60 seconds – technique of choice
8) Standing Iron Cross: Hold a dumbbell in each hand so your arms hang by your thighs. Keeping your elbows straight, raise them up to the sides until your arms are parallel to the floor. Slowly bring the weights to touch in front of your chest – arms still straight. Return them to the lateral position and lower to complete one repetition. You might get in 10 to 16 in the minute.
9) Plank Rows: Get into plank position with the hands on the shafts of dumbbells. Engage your core as you row your arms one at a time, avoiding rotation of the hip.
10) Mountain Climbers: Put your hands on the floor and pull your knees in toward your chest quickly. Keep your body in a straight line – avoiding hiking the hips to the sky.
You can thank me later.